Good for you -- you're damned smart.
There was a time once when radio sucked! The programmers and DJs played pretty much whatever they wanted, and the radio really lacked the form and discipline it has now.
Why, here's a playlist from the early 1980s, for Washington-DC area radio station WHFS. A commercial station, mind you -- one with a profit margin!
Gahd they were stupid. I just hate this:
1. Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream for Crow
1. The Clash - Police and Thieves
1. The AuPairs- Shakedown
2. Rank and File- Amanda Ruth
3. The Individuals-My Three Sons
4. The Softboys-Sandra's having her brain out
5. The Doors-Cars Hiss By My Window
6. The Fall-Repetition
7. The Dream Syndicate-That's what you always say
8. The Velvet Monkeys-Evelyn Marble
9. Lydia Lunch- 3X3
Flipper - Life (The only thing worth living for)
Joy Division - Dead Souls
Wire - Blessed State
The Stranglers - Vietnamerica
Bill Nelson - A Private View
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Iconic Storage
The Specials - Ghost Town
Jacob Miller - Once Upon a Time
Augustus Pablo - Herbal Weed Dub
Creation Rebel - Rebel Party
I'm really glad that radio has cleaned up its act.