Tuesday, January 15, 2008
If you haven't yet, please buy the goddamned May Bees album, entitled Drop Little Boy
Okay, so I kept my big gob shut during the Christmas holidays.
Well, it actually wasn't shut, it was probably railing against religion or yacking about the defenestration of the Bill of Rights. But I digress . . . .
I mean to say that I didn't electronically yell at anyone to buy drop little boy; I just recommended it to anyone who would listen.
I'll try not to yell now, but I offer new formulations of my reasons to buy:
(1) The music rocks like a motherfucker;
(2) the lyrics are fascinating;
(3) yet the lyrics are not youthful navel-gazing, nor mere angst-soaked wails about a chick who wouldn't dig the lead singer, nor drug-laced examination of the mystical world between the walls we see;
(4) Marj, the drummer, is fabulous. SHE rocks like a motherfucker;
(5) none of the instruments, nor lyrics, nor arrangements, is cookie-cutter, "what you'd expect" stuff. Guitar lines fall just where you'd normally expect a cliche to perch and wail -- but before you can blink, the guitar has taken off someplace you didn't expect, and given you a nifty little morsel of sonic poon;
(6) Black Queen rocks like a motherfucker; and
(7) their promo photo taker gets it -- completely gets it:
you can buy this long-player here at CD Baby, or here at Amazon.
All of my stupidity aside, it's a really fine record that you'll be happy you own. So own it. . .